Over the past few days, the idea of creating a podcast has absoluetly enthralled me. As a writer, a person must realize that her/his words will not always be read in exactly the way they were written, so it is quite empowering to broadcast words - sounds and intonations - rather than leaving them to the reader’s imagination.
I thought that my first podcast would be some sort of poetic rant, a passionate speech, or a slam poem. But when Aaron, the teacher of my web publishing class, introduced the audio editing program Audacity to the class last week, I found myself immediately recording music onto my computer with a low quality Labtec headset.
Though badly mixed and increadibly poor quality, I would like to share the product of my first experimentation with Audacity as a music editing program - a remix of song I wrote recently called Losing Face.
I recorded six different tracks for this song - the first two are the basic guitar and vocals, and the other four are small vocal tracks added throughout various parts of the song. I took the opportunity to play around with the program and try out the echo, wah wah, and fade effects.
Though I’m not so happy with the end quality, it was an interesting experience, and I look forward to working more with this program - hopefully with a better quality microphone in the future.